I'm back in business!
I finally have power back and am in the kitchen again. I may never leave.
2 weeks without electricity or heat was no fun. I guess we found out the hard way, that I don't like to camp, however, I did make a delicious pizza on my grill with the defrosted Jim Lahey pizza dough!
I am so thankful to have an oven again, it's the small things in life (like a blowdryer, clean clothes and internet) that make me happy and appreciative. Oh yeah, and heat.
- I am so thankful to have an oven again, it's the small things in life (like a blowdryer, clean clothes and internet) that make me happy and appreciative. Oh yeah, and heat.
- This whole week I will be posting holiday recipes, because Thanksgiving will be here before we know it, and boy, am I thankful.
- I used to be the "Tart Queen", now I am the "Quinoa Queen".
- You know that great recipe w/ the roasted Brussels sprouts & roasted grapes from years back? Well, this is that recipe, pumped up, by adding butternut squash and QUINOA.
- If you are looking for a great holiday side, then you have come to the right place.
- This will be on my Thanksgiving table this year, since it is great at room temperature and goes beautifully with turkey.
- Your vegetarian guests can even enjoy this as the main dish.
- Quinoa w/ Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Squash & Grapes: (serves 8)
- 1 1/2 cups dried quinoa (I like a mix of red & white)
- 3 cups of water or chicken broth
- 1 cup of black or red seedless grapes (do not use green)
- 1 cup of Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut up into 1" cubes (*if you can find squash already cut up, then it's about 1 lb.)
- olive oil
- kosher salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup of pecans, toasted
- On a large baking sheet, lay out the squash pieces with the halved Brussels sprouts and the grapes (left whole).
- Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt.
- Roast in a 400F oven for 20-25 minutes, keeping an eye that the squash doesn't burn.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the quinoa.