Bananas Foster for breakfast.
Sounds great, doesn’t it? And it is.
A soft and crumbly, but moist coffee cake flavored with bananas, rum, brown sugar, and cinnamon, topped with a pecan streusel and drizzled with rum sauce – this is not your regular old coffee cake.
When the kids are out of school for Christmas break, I put a little extra time into making breakfast foods. My husband tends to take quite a few vacation days around Christmas, so if I bake something like coffee cake or muffins, they are bound to get eaten by someone.
- 1½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 3 tablespoons dark or light rum
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons light or dark rum
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup granulated sugar