I’m giving away gifts all week in honor of SouthernPlate’s birthday!
You can enter daily and I’ll draw winners each day as well. Click here for more information.
I’m often asked how SouthernPlate started. I’ve told the story countless times when speaking to groups or folks at book signings and get togethers so today I thought I’d share it here with you.
*If you just want a recipe for a really good homemade birthday cake with buttercream icing, scroll on down to the next picture. *
Waaaay back in 2008 ~wink~ I was a stay at home mom with my oldest in school and my youngest close to starting. I had a Home Ec degree hanging on my wall collecting dust and a heart wondering what I was going to do with myself once Katy started school.
- 2+1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1+ ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1+1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 sticks butter, at room temp
- 4 teaspoons butter flavoring (Can use clear vanilla instead)
- 6 cups confectioner's sugar
- 4-8 tablespoons milk