This soup is one of those great last minute suppers when you want something flavorful but don’t have the time to put into it. You can make it exactly like I did in this tutorial or just use the basic premise of the recipe and customize it to your tastes or what you have on hand. I seldom make this soup the same way twice! It is reminiscent of Taco Soup, but with fewer ingredients and even less fuss (is that even possible?).
I had a signing in Greenville, SC last night and am headed to Greensboro, NC today with more signings and meet and greets in Southern Pines, NC and Charlotte later this week before I finish up my very last week of touring and head home to get back on a regular work schedule.
- 24 ounce jar mild or hot salsa (about 2.5 cups - can use less if you want)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cilantro
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 can corn, undrained
- 3 cups broth (I use chicken bullion cubes to make my own and save money)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (about)
- 1 cup heavy ceeam (optional)