I’m giving away a complete Dollywood/Smoky Mountain Vacation! Click here for details.
On April 28th I was honored to serve as a judge at the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, Tennessee. Little did I know, this would be one of the most difficult jobs I’ve ever had. I’m sure all of the judges would agree with me on that, though!
Each and every dish was truly amazing, blending new and classic flavors together in fresh and fun ways. We finally narrowed it down to three finalist but I really and truly wanted everyone to win!
- 4 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 (7 oz.) package Martha White® Sweet Yellow Cornbread and Muffin Mix
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage, browned and drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- ½ cup shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 8 slices or ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese