It’s time to break out the grill! A light summer dinner goes quickly to the table with grilled chicken salsa flatbreads! Brush your favorite flatbread with a light citrus marinade, toast it right on the grill while the chicken cooks, then top with the chicken and a super easy make-ahead mango salsa.
I’m getting a head start on summer’s fresh produce by cheating a little and buying slightly out-of-season fruits and vegetables — tomatoes! peppers! — to enjoy a nice big batch of citrusy salsa.
Salsa is not just for dipping: stirred into refried black beans, it makes an amazing side dish. Or whipped into a creamy vinaigrette to drizzle on a rainbow salad. Or spooned over an open-faced sandwich, like today’s chicken salsa flatbreads, to build a light, yet satisfying meal.
- 1 fresh orange, juiced
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large flatbreads or naan (I used Stonefire naan)
- 1/2 mango, chopped (peeled and pit removed)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (a mix of red and green is pretty)
- 2 heaping tablespoons chopped red onions
- 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage (optional, for extra color)
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 8 ounces chicken breasts or thighs, pounded to an even 3/4" thickness
- salt and pepper