If there’s one thing that SoupAddict loves almost as much as Soup, it’s sandwiches. Or really, anything on bread. (Bruschetta counts!)
Actually, anything with bread is A-Okay by me, too ( French Onion soup? Yes, please). SoupAddict is not going to split hairs on the where’s and whyfore’s of bread, no sir.
So, turning a sandwich into a salad is right up my alley. It’s a salad [whispers] that’s made from a sandwich .
Why, it’s a Sandwad!
Wait, what? [looks left and right] Did SoupAddict just invent a new food group? Awesome. (To all cookbook publishers reading this blog (and I’m certain there are dozens ): you can get a leg up on this fresh fad by having me pen the very first Sandwad Cookbook. Call me! )
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat to desired doneness (at least a little bit of crispiness is good). Remove to plate to cool.
- In same pan, add olive oil if using vegetarian bacon (or if you have only a small amount of bacon drippings). Heat until simmering. Add bread cubes and toss in oil to coat. Sprinkle a pinch of each salt and pepper over croutons. Stir croutons until toasted. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Place lettuce and tomatoes in a medium bowl. Drizzle a portion of the vinaigrette over the vegetables, then toss gently to coat. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Crumble cooled bacon over the salad, and add croutons. Drizzle more vinaigrette and toss salad gently.
- Arrange egg pieces on top of the salad, yolks facing up. Place a dab of mayo on the yolk of each egg.
- Drizzle more vinaigrette to suit your preferences (you might not use it all). Finish with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.