In a land where chocolate basically trumps everything else – in my brain, that is – this double chocolate banana bread is pretty much the pinnacle whereby all good things are measured. There’s just so much going right with this version.
Similar to the chocolate loaf cake I made a couple of years ago, this one-bowl quick bread is soft, tender-crumbed, and all-around delightful. Its top is a crackly chocolate field of dreams, if you must, and chasing the crumbs that tumble from the knife is just part of the experience rather than a nuisance here.
- 2 to 3 medium-to-large very ripe bananas
- ½ cup (115 grams) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ¾ cup (145 grams) brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp table salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces or 170 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks