Sweet and spicy Kansas City style BBQ sauce made with tomato sauce, honey, molasses, vinegar and spices.
It's so easy to make, simply combine all the ingredients and simmer on the stove for less than 30 minutes and what you end up with is a thick, tangy sauce with the perfect balance of sweet and spice; perfect on chicken, pork or beef.
What I like about making my own sauce is that I can control what goes into it whether it's the amount of heat or sugar. You'd be surprised to learn that most BBQ sauces sold in the supermarket contain high fructose corn syrup. Did you know most brands of ketchup also contain HFCS too? Don't worry, I'm working on a ketchup recipe soon!
- Sweet and spicy Kansas City style BBQ sauce made with tomato sauce, honey, molasses, vinegar and spices.
- Homemade Kansas Style BBQ Sauce
- Servings: 17 • Size: 2 tbsp • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 1 pt
- Calories: 47.5 • Fat: 0.1 g • Carb: 12.4 g • Fiber: 0.6 g • Protein: 0.6 g • Sugar: 10.3 g
- Sodium: 225.6 mg
- 1 1/3 cups tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses (unsulfured)
- 2 tsp all natural hickory liquid smoke (Colgin)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp chili powder