Raise your hand if you love mac and cheese. If you’re hand is up, you’re going to really love this incredible mac and cheese. It truly has it all. Meat, pasta and vegetables baked in a rich Alfredo sauce. Maybe you’ve noticed, I’m a little obsessed lately with using a light Alfredo sauce in many of my dishes but I just love this rich, tasting sauce. It’s so versatile. In this casserole, it allows you to add a lot less cheese that’s normally used to make mac and cheese. But, this dish couldn’t taste any richer, bordering obscene!!! The skinny for 1 serving is 277 calories, 8.7 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. My husband said it’s his very favorite recipe right now and he loves decadent tasting meals. Simply fabulous!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 1½ cups (6 oz) uncooked whole wheat or whole grain penne pasta, I used Barilla Whole Grain
- ½ pound extra lean ground beef, see shopping tip
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 (10-oz) container Buitoni refrigerated light Alfredo sauce, see shopping tip
- ½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Ingredient for Topping:
- ½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2½ -quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Cook pasta to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain.