Go meatless with these Grilled Teriyaki Portobello Burgers! Juicy grilled teriyaki glazed portobello mushrooms are topped with grilled onion and pineapple, extra teriyaki sauce and sprouts! Wrap this burger in butter lettuce leaves or bun of your choice with a smear of the most amazing honey wasabi mayo!
More and more I crave meatless recipes. Perhaps I was a vegetarian in a former life? Maybe. All I know is that I love vegetables, especially mushrooms.
If you haven’t had a portobello burger yet, this is your time to go for it. I am completely, 100% on team portobello burger. At first I was skeptical, sure, who wouldn’t be? Mushrooms masquerading as a beef patty, I mean yeah, I was definitely leery. But over the last year, I’ve been ever so slowly working portobellos into recipes that typically call for some sort of meat protein. I grilled them for quesadillas and panfried them for fajitas, and I use baby portobellos in just about all the recipes calling for mushrooms. I’m also working on another recipe that I hope to share before the summer is over. But today, it’s all about this grilled teriyaki portobello burger.
- FOR THE WASABI MAYO:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (homemade or store-bought -- homemade mayo recipe can be found in the book)
- 1 small clove garlic, grated or finely minced (about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- wasabi paste, to taste
- 2/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, tops wiped clean, stems removed and discarded
- 4 slices of fresh pineapple
- 4 semi-thick slices of red onion
- olive oil spray (mister)
- butter lettuce leaves, for serving (or use your favorite hamburger bun)
- reserved teriyaki sauce, for serving
- sprouts, for serving (optional)