Pesto. Pesto. PESTO. One of my all time favorite condiments/sauces in the entire world. And it’s totally the star of these spring pesto quinoa bowls.
I think what I love most about pesto, aside from the wonderful flavor and vibrant green color, is how easy it is to make at home. It’s one of those things that I think a lot of people end up buying at the grocery store out of convenience (like jarred tomato sauce and hummus), not realizing how simple and affordable it is to make yourself. Plus, store bought pesto can be surprisingly high in fat and sodium, so when you’re making it at home, you have the ability to really control the amount of ingredients that you’re adding.
- 3/4 cup basil
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts (or nut of choice)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 - 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) peas
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)