Today is Matt’s birthday and so I baked him a cake.
But not just any old cake. It’s a vanilla quinoa cake smothered in a vegan chocolate frosting and topped with our favorite mini chocolate chips. It’s pretty much my ideal cake – we’ll see what he thinks when he blows out the candles tonight!
Although we’re not big on celebrating birthdays – we never do anything super elaborate – it’s always nice to feel some extra love on your big day.
Tonight we’re having a casual dinner at home (as per usual, #biggesthomebodiesever) with mussels cooked in a lemon white wine sauce, some quinoa garlic bread and a massaged kale salad. I’ll grab a bottle of champagne, we’ll snuggle up on the couch and we’ll obviously be eating cake.
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup coconut sugar (1 1/2 cups granulated coconut sugar blended into a powered in a high-powered blender - I love my Blendtec !)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- Stevia to taste (optional)
- Mini chocolate chips for topping (optional)