I saw this recipe for Brown Sugar Meringues in the new cookbook A Modern Way to Eat (which I looooove BTW!) and was immediately intrigued because they looked like chocolate.... but they're made with brown sugar. Have you ever had a Violet Crumble? These kinda taste like that. They're chewy, crispy and have a hint of burnt caramel to them. I'm obsessed.
I whipped cream....
And tossed strawberries in honey, lime zest and Pimm's and the rest is history. I immediately ate three...and this is coming a person who isn't really a meringue lover. THEY ARE BONKERS. Fluffy, puffy, crunchy, chewy, carmel-like meringues! Did I mention that I put Pimm's in the strawberries?!?!
And we're off!
Let's separate the egg yolks. I like to use my hands. Sorry/not sorry.
We're going to whip the egg whites and put the brown sugar up in.
I put the egg whites in my KitchenAid Mixer....
And then after a little bit in goes the brown sugar!
We swirl in a little honey. Not too much. We want a few swirls in the meringues!
And we spoon out the meringues on a parchment lined baking sheet.
I love that they don't have to be perfect.
And baked! They look burnt but I assure you they're not!
The brown sugar has caramelized!
Now we're going to cut up strawberries and macerate them in a little Pimm's Liqueur, honey and lime zest.
Honey + Pimm's.
Lime Zest! Let it sit for 15-30 minutes.
You can do the whipped cream in a jar trick if you'd like! Or beat the whipped cream with a KitchenAid.
I burned a lot of calories here....
We top the whipped cream on the meringues. Add a little bit of lime zest....
Now we add the strawberries....
- And tossed strawberries in honey, lime zest and Pimm's and the rest is history. I immediately ate three...and this is coming a person who isn't really a meringue lover. THEY ARE BONKERS. Fluffy, puffy, crunchy, chewy, carmel-like meringues! Did I mention that I put Pimm's in the strawberries?!?!
- With the warm weather season approaching, these would be a perfect addition to a Summer feast. Meringues can be made in advance and the whipped cream and strawberries can be done a half hour before serving.
- Brown Sugar Meringues with Strawberries & Cream
- recipe adapted from A Modern Way to Eat
- for the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 1 scant cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey