I always make big plans for special breakfasts on holidays. Last year I made Breakfast Tacos (I spiced it up with soyrizo) for Christmas morning and this year I was thinking of making a ton of bacon, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and grilled sourdough but who am I kidding?!! We’re all just gonna eat my mom’s sour cream coffee cake for breakfast. Well…FIRST breakfast…
Coffee cake is always a great addition to your breakfast game lineup. It’s nice to have out in the morning when people do that I’m hungover/up too early zombie shuffle into your kitchen looking for coffee. Hand them a mug and serve them up a slice. First breakfast is for those of us who wake up EARLY with the kids. We’re a special breed.
Casey and I picked at this cake for a whole week. One slice turned into two…and then a few slivers here and there and suddenly it was gone. It’s slightly dense, super moist (sorry!), studded with juicy raisins, sweet dates and toasted walnuts. It’s not too sweet. It’s perfect. It’s definitely going in the coffee cake rotation!
And we’re off!
Say hello to these persimmons. They’re super ripe.
We cut off the tops and scoop out the “meat” from the skin with a spoon.
We are going to puree the persimmons! (here I’m using my Vitamix Blender)
Squeeze lemon juice into the mixture.
Set the puree aside in a bowl/measuring cup. Whisk in vanilla and baking soda.
Taking a poll: How do you feel about me putting words on the ingredient shots?
YAY or NAY?
We cream butter with brown sugar and both the lemon & orange zest.
Now we add the persimmon puree and the egg. Mix.
Dry meets wet.
Dates, raisins & walnuts get folded in.
We transfer the batter to a 10 Inch Springform Pan.
We top with turbinado sugar. And bake!
I couldn’t help myself….
We top with confectioner’s sugar and the rest is history!
- Dates, raisins & walnuts get folded in.
- COCONUT CHAI COFFEE CAKE
- SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE W/ CHOCOLATE SWIRL
- BLUEBERRY YOGURT CAKE
- LEMON BUTTERMILK BUNDT CAKE
- MOM’S SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
- Persimmon Spice Cake
- recipe adapted from Huckleberry: Stories, Secrets, and Recipes From Our Kitchen
- makes 1 10 inch cake
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3-4 very ripe Hachiya persimmons
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar, for serving