Did we already talk about how I was vegetarian for three years in college? Back then, no one taught me how to properly be vegetarian so I ate A LOT of cheese, hummus, pizza, and ph boy did I overdose on stir-fry. Besides all the cheese, I used to make a really good veggie sandwich when I was in my first apartment sophomore year. The sandwich always had hummus as a base with avocado smashed into toasted whole wheat bread and whatever vegetables I had on hand. I ate so many of them throughout my college years that I had to stop eating hummus for awhile. Sad trombone.
Fast forward 13 (!!!) years and this is the ultimate veggie sandwich of my dreams. It’s kind of like the Reset Button Salad but in sandwich form. Present Tracy likes shredded beets & carrots in her sandwich. Present Tracy thought of cilantro hummus and made her own! Present Tracy knows that being vegetarian doesn’t mean eating blocks of cheese and mushroom pizza.
Present Tracy knows that the key to an Ultimate Veggie sandwich is flavor, crunch, mouth watering color and the perfect combination of ingredients that don’t smoosh out. Present Tracy also misses her college party overalls. Why did Past Tracy have to get rid of them??!
And we’re off!
First we toast our bread. I use my griddler. It makes the best toast. EVER.
We smash our avocado into one half of the toast. Sprinkle on the toasted sesame seeds.
This prevents them from getting all over the place.
Now we add a layer of the cilantro hummus. FLAVOR TOWN.
Then we top with parsley and sliced radish.
Carrots & beets to follow. Then comes the sliced cucumber and spinach.
Oh look! I added more hummus to that other piece of toast.
It’s the glue that will hold the other stuff in place.
And we top.
And we cut to show the final revel.
And then we jam it into our faces as fast as we can.
- Present Tracy knows that the key to an Ultimate Veggie sandwich is flavor, crunch, mouth watering color and the perfect combination of ingredients that don’t smoosh out. Present Tracy also misses her college party overalls. Why did Past Tracy have to get rid of them??!
- The Ultimate Veggie Sandwich
- makes 1 sandwich
- two slices seeded whole grain bread (I love Dave’s Killer Bread in Powerseed)
- 1/4 thinly sliced avocado
- 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro hummus
- 5 sprigs Italian parsley
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup grated carrots
- 1/8 cup grated beets
- 4-5 spinach leaves
- 4 slices cucumber
- salt & pepper to taste
- Toast/grill bread until lightly browned. Mash avocado into one side of toast and top with sesame seeds. Layer half the hummus on top of avocado and spread the remaining hummus on the other slice of toast. On the side with avocado and hummus, lay down the parsley, radishes, carrots, beets, and spinach leaves and finish with the cucumber slices. Season with salt & pepper. Top with the other piece of toast and cut. Serve immediately.