Cucumber Watermelon reminds me of being a tween. Except we didn’t call it tween back then. It was just the super awkward time between 7th grade and high school. In 8th grade, I really wanted to wear deodorant because it meant you were one step closer to being grown. Well, that and sports bras, Doc Martens, liquid eyeliner, and bangs with too much hairspray. I think my first dip into the deodorant world was with the zesty Cucumber Watermelon Teen Spirit variety. It just seemed like the right thing to do. I mean, who doesn’t want their pits to smell like Watermelon Jolly Rancher mixed with the synthetic smell of chemical cucumber? Cucumber watermelon was ALLLLLLL the rage back then but the thought of eating those two things at the SAME TIME was…blasphemy. At least in my tween head.
And this is that very flavor in popsicle form. Thankfully we’ve grown out of that not eating Cucumber & Watermelon TOGETHER phase. Now, we’re grown and there’s no crying to Boys II Men (most of the time) and no trying to force these legs into wearing boxers as shorts during volleyball practice! Hallelujah. Cucumber watermelon might be the scent of my 8th grade innocence…without the peer pressure & hormonal drama.
Also I can now dip a popsicle in a cup of vodka or gin if I’m having a rough day cuz I’M GROWN.
And we’re off! Not pictured…lime. I didn’t realize it needed some until the end!
Cucumber and simple syrup goes right into the blender. BLEND.
Transfer to a measuring cup.
Chop the watermelon. You’re lucky I didn’t eat all of this watermelon. You would have no recipe.
Watermelon gets blended. Then it goes into the cucumber! Sure you could mix it all at once, but then you wouldn’t see a pretty color separation. RIGHT?!
And because I don’t have the time to pluck out watermelon seeds…one by one…we strain!
A squeeze of fresh lime boosts up the flavor.
Now we pour it into our popsicle molds!
FREEZE. Baby. FREEZE.
At first I was gonna just show you this shot.
But then I was like….. THEY NEED TO SEE MY REALITY. My reality is kinda cute.
This is why boys are always sticky.
Smells like Cucumber Watermelon…
Teen Spirit. Except totally natural. And if you take a bite of it you won’t die and there isn’t a Nirvana song named after it.
Things just got weird(er).
Cucumber Watermelon Popsicles
makes about 10 pops
- Cucumber Watermelon Popsicles
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled
- 1/3 cup simple syrup
- 1 small watermelon (about 1 lb.) peeled & chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Puree the cucumber with the simple syrup in a blender and/or food processor. Transfer the puree to a bowl with a measuring pitcher with a pouring spout.
- Puree the watermelon and transfer into the measuring pitcher with the pureed cucumber. Add lime juice and stir. Strain mixture into a bowl to remove solids. Transfer mixture back into the measuring pitcher.
- Pour the mixture into your ice pop molds, leaving a bit of room at the top for the mixture to expand. Freeze for an hour. Insert sticks and continue to freeze for another 4-5 hours. Unmold and transfer to plastic bags for storage or serve at once.