I’ve had a lot of salads in my life so I feel like I can say (with some authority) that this salad ranks high up there as one of the best salads I’ve ever made. It has everything I love in a salad— onions that aren’t too sharp & potent, sweetness from dried fruits (dates!), crunchy almonds (that almost taste like bacon!) and crunchy flavorful carby pita chips!
Who doesn’t love a salad that has toasted bread in it?!! All of the flavors here marry into something remarkable. You might find yourself making this twice…or three times in one week.
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 Medjool dates, quartered length-wise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small pitas, roughly torn into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whole raw/unsalted almonds
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 oz. baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon