I really like baking doughnuts because I can usually save some calories & fat from frying and splurge on the doughnut icing. I find that it’s usually the icing that makes the baked doughnut taste magnificent. But here…we have something different. A cake based doughnut with just a cinnamon + sugar topping. Will it be as magnificent?
You best believe! It might be the closest baked doughnut to a fried doughnut I’ve had. The cake part is imparted with flavor thanks to a combo of cinnamon & nutmeg. And that spongey dense texture? I die. I’m sure the cinnamon-sugar binder (butter) helps!
I halved this recipe because….well…you know most people (namely ME) can’t be trusted with 12 cinnamon sugar doughnuts in their possession.
What else is new?
And we’re off!
Ingredient gathering tiiiiime.
Dry ingredients get mixed real quick. Stir to combine.
Buttermilk, egg & vanilla. STIR.
Wet is introduced to dry.
Batter goes into a prepared doughnut pan.
Topping gets whipped up. Melt butter, stir cinnamon in with sugar. Done did.
Doughnuts are out of the oven. Let them cool for a few minutes.
Brush the top of each doughnut and dip!
One at a time.
- Buttermilk, egg & vanilla. STIR.
- And before they even get plated, you have 5 1/2. This was designed to happen.
- Now you’re ready to do a crossword puzzle, drink some coffee and….
- EAT FIVE DOUGHNUTS. Just go with it.
- Oh, and if you want to make fried doughnuts you should check out my Farm stand Buttermilk Doughnut recipe. Amaze.
- Baked Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts
- makes 6
- recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the topping
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon