I have an on-going list of recipes that I want to make but then I flip through a magazine and something new and bold trumps the list and gets made right away. That’s the case for these Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies. They were too cute to pass up since I’m a sucker for heart shaped cookies.
I made them while Cooper was taking a nap over the weekend and I think I blew is MIND when he woke up and saw these on the counter. It’s amazing how something so little, cute and charming can have such a big impact (these might be his spirit cookies). I don’t doubt an adult/loved one would have the same reaction. The only difference is that they don’t have to incessantly beg me for another one…cuz they’re grown. They do what they please and have control over their own sugar rush (I hope).
Anything that’s made with love is void of calories & fat….or so I tell myself. Homemade Oreos are like diet food
And we’re off!
First we start off with the dough!
Dry ingredients get whisked in a bowl.
Sugar & wet ingredients get mixed in a measuring cup.
Wet meets dry.
Dough is formed. It gets clumped together. Don’t worry, things will be cool.
Dough disk Number 1 and 2.
We roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper. This is it with the parchment paper off.
The dough gets chilled and then you’re ready to work with it. Cut out the hearts.
Line the hearts up on parchment paper. Put them into the oven to bake.
And while they’re baking, you’re ready to make the filling.
Cream the butter in a bowl.
Add both the sugars and the vanilla. BEAT IT.
Put the frosting into a piping bag/sandwich bag with the edge cut off and pipe the frosting onto half of the cookies.
It’s fun work.
Especially when you get to eat your work.
Do what the sign says!
Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies
- Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies
- recipe slightly adapted from Martha Stewart Living
- 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for parchment
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- cream filling (see below)
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir together butter, sugar, and egg. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, and stir until a dough forms. Divide dough in half; roll out each half between 2 sheets of lightly floured parchment to 1/8-inch thick. Transfer to baking sheets, and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.