I had the idea to make this sandwich for weeeeeeeeks. In my head I was thinking of the beauty of roasted broccoli & melted cheddar mixed with the crispy crunch grilled foccacia. It had to be mine. Oh yes, it had to be mine. I can’t begin to tell you how much brain energy went into thinking about this sandwich. #ALOT.
And when I went to execute it, my husband suggested I put turkey up in it. WHAAAT?! My food fantasy went screeching to a halt. Turkey? Hmmm. I think he wanted me to recreate his favorite hot pocket flavor… You know, to maybe reminisce on his bachelorhood.
- 1 head broccoli (about 4 cups florets)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- pinch red pepper flakes (or two)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 8×12 inch slab herbed foccacia, edges trimmed
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices roasted pepper turkey breast
- spicy honey mustard (optional)