Mom guilt. It's pretty crazy, right? You with me, moms?
I had to go out to dinner the other night for work and I was feeling mom guilt because I wasn't able to pick Cooper up from school and see how his day went. I also wasn't there to eat dinner with him or read him a story before bed. But! I was able to make sure there was something left for dinner for my boys and this was it.
When I made it home 10 minutes after Cooper was tucked in for bed, I popped into his room to say goodnight and he greeted me with "Mama, I'm so happy to see you! I ate all my yellow rice and chicken!" Hehe. Yellow rice. Kid knows just the right words to make me happy. Guilt? What guilt?
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger (from a 3-inch piece)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened light coconut milk
- fresh cilantro leaves, for serving