In my family, my mom and I have always been outnumbered by men. One adult male and two growing boys meant that anytime my mom put out a platter of smoked salmon & cream cheese for a party, there would be no smoked salmon left by the time it was our turn to get some. I think their mental cue for leave some for the rest of the party was always dominated by the how much salmon can I pile on top of this bagel cue.
After many years of suffering with measly smoked salmon scraps, I finally found the solution! Take away the plate of sliced smoked salmon and put the salmon IN the cream cheese. Dudes will still want to load it onto their bagel, but I'm pretty sure you'll find some cream cheese left by the time you get to the appetizer table. There's nothing worse than spending a ton of money on smoked salmon when you never get to try it.
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 4 oz. smoked salmon, coarsely chopped & divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley for garnish
- lemon slice for garnish