Whenever I see a fennel bulb, memories flood into my head of my dad picking wild fennel on the side our driveway. I remember him taking a bite and offering me some. I also remember being puzzled as to why my dad loved the taste of fennel; my uneducated palette just didn’t get it. When I set a plate of this Arugula Fig & Fennel salad in front of my dad on Cooper’s birthday, with beaming eyes he told me how much his father loved figs and how they’d pick them off the trees during this time of year when he was a boy. I could tell the salad triggered a fond memory for his father in the same way fennel triggers my memories of him.
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, cored & sliced paper thin
- 6 fresh ripe figs, quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- shaved Parmesan cheese