I am rushing to get this post out to you because I want to give you enough time to gather the ingredients for your breakfast tomorrow! Pay attention. These danishes are AMAZING. Crispy flaky outside meets chewy gooey inside. Raspberry jam, marzipan & cream cheese unite to give your taste buds a happy dance! You will be amazed that you made these! You will also realize how much these trump the tired old store bought fruit/cheese danishes you are used to eating. Just wait until you taste one that’s still warm! Prepare to be thoroughly impressed!
You shouldn’t worry about folding the puff pastry. I was nervous that they were going be totally ugly because I made quite a mess in the process. I went through like 3 different styles of folding the dough on the first batch to see which one worked best. They all did. The combo of the toasted almonds and the sugar drizzle on top will mask any imperfections. And if they are still not perfect, one bite will tame that O.C.D. beast you have inside you. When I say YOU, I really mean ME. The end.
Let’s get started!
Measure out your marzipan. Take a taste. Good, huh?
Mix the cream cheese & marzipan together. Then add vanilla, egg yolk & powdered sugar to them. Beat.
Take your puff pastry and roll it out into a 10 inch square. Cut into 4 pieces.
Put each square on a parchment paper lined pan. Add the filling & top with the jam.
Brush egg white all round the edges and then fold up two corners to the center. Pinch.
Brush the pastry with more egg wash. Top with slivered almonds and put them in the oven to bake!
Now they hafta cool. Get your paws away! Ok if you can sacrifice one and your burning your taste buds, GO FOR IT!
Make the drizzle.
And drizzle it on top of each danish.
I bet you can’t eat just one.
I wish I could have…damn you!
Raspberry Linzer Cheese Danishes
- Raspberry Linzer Cheese Danishes
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup marzipan or almond paste
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed and refrigerated
- 4 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and marzipan at high speed for 1 minute. Beat in 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar. Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla and salt.
- Place the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll out to form a 10-inch square; cut into 4 equal squares and place on the prepared baking sheet. Dollop the cream cheese mixture evenly in the center of each square; top with 1 teaspoon jam. In a small bowl, beat the egg white with a fork, then lightly brush some of it onto the pastry. Lift 2 opposite corners of each pastry and cross over the center, overlapping slightly; pinch to seal. Brush the tops with more egg white and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely.