Rich, homemade chicken stock is not complicated and you don’t have to own a stock pot or fret about doing it perfectly. Just use the biggest soup pot you’ve got and follow this UPDATED simple guide to making, storing and using this essential cooking staple.
The difference between chicken broth, stock, and bone broth?
I will forego any technical definitions here because there are so many variations (and opinions) and we need more freedom than fret on this subject. I want to encourage you to think of these terms as stages rather than definitions.
- 4 quarts filtered water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 3-4 stalks celery -- coarsely chopped
- 2-3 large carrots -- coarsely chopped
- 1-2 large onions -- quartered
- 1 bulb garlic -- cloves separated and halved
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bunch parsley