Running With Tweezers
everything bagel-spiced brussels sprouts
crunchy Brussels sprout salad January 25, 2017
Maybe it’s the current political climate or maybe it’s wanting to start the new year off with some renewed focus on what I’m eating…but I’ve been craving colorful, textural food. I’m also on a bit of a tear when it comes to Brussels sprouts. I’ve made this salad three or four times in the past month – alongside duck at our New Years dinner, accompanying roast chicken, straight out of the bowl for lunch.
It’s really versatile and, while it’s too pretty to call a fridge cleaner salad, you can use pretty much any produce you have on hand. Just make sure you have the Brussels sprouts as a crunchy base then go crazy – I’ve used radishes instead of beets, thrown in shredded cabbage, stirred in some mung bean sprouts. If you don’t have Meyer lemon around for the dressing, any other freshly squeezed citrus juice will do – substitute some blood orange or grapefruit juice.
Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad – serves 2 to 4 people
- 3 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced – reserve the fennel fronds for garnish
- 3-4 Chioggia or other beet, thinly sliced – you can also substitute a handful of thinly sliced radishes
- 1 cup baby watercress, microgreens or arugula
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp. good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 101 Cookbooks