Who doesn’t go mad over crispy tortillas stuffed with molten, juicy goodness??? Choose from THREE Quesadilla fillings – vegetable, beef or chicken. Make a big batch for standby freezer meals!
You’d have to be made of stone if that image doesn’t make you weak in the knees.
That golden brown crispy tortilla.
That juicy filling. Beef, chicken, pork, turkey, veal or vegetarian.
That molten cheese.
Quesadillas are a universal language that brings everyone together – vegetarians and meat lovers alike. And in the spirit of that, today I’ve got not one, but THREE Quesadilla filling options to choose from!
QUESADILLA FILLING OPTIONS
Today’s recipe is all about versatility based on one master Mexican Spice Mix that works fabulously with both meat and vegetables.
1. Beef – Made using ground beef (mince), I love how the spice really gets right in there all throughout the beef. A bit of tomato paste binds it all together and makes it nice and juicy. Use this recipe for any ground meat, including beef, pork, veal, chicken or turkey.
2. Chicken – Seared seasoned chicken thigh fillets (or breast) then diced and mixed through with sautéed onion and capsicum/bell peppers. Use this recipe for any protein in steak form, including beef, pork, veal, chicken or turkey.
3. Vegetable – A mix of onion, capsicum/bell peppers, black beans and corn, made juicy with tomato paste and the Spice Mix. Use this Filling recipe for any vegetables you want!
I can’t even tell whether it’s chicken or vegetable Filling used in the photo above.
I just know I want to eat it.
Preferably with some kind of dipping sauce. Even if it’s just sour cream, but if you want to go all out, try it with a quick Avocado Sauce. Made with avocado, sour cream, lime or lemon juice, garlic, and plenty of coriander/cilantro, this stays green for days and days!
AND IT’S FREEZER FRIENDLY!!
You might already freeze burritos but have you tried freezing quesadillas? It works perfectly. Assemble and freeze before cooking. Thaw, then pan fry or you can even bake from frozen.
So make a big batch. Have some now and save some for later! – Nagi x
PS Baking option to make loads at the same time – see this Baked Quesadillas recipe. A touch less crispy, but it’s a small sacrifice for the convenience!
Quesadilla (Beef, Vegetable or Chicken)
Choose ONE Filling! The spice mix adds terrific flavour – great with vegetable, chicken, beef, pork and turkey. Freezer friendly! Recipe video below.
6 – 8 flour tortillas ((20cm/8"))
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese ((or other of choice) (Note 1))
3/4 cup roughly chopped coriander/cilantro
1 cup corn kernels ((frozen thawed or can drained))
ONE Filling of Choice, below ((beef, chicken or vegetable))
Quesadilla Spice Mix:
- 1 tsp each onion powder, dried oregano, salt
- 2 tsp each cumin powder, paprika
- 1/4 tsp each black pepper, cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (, minced)
- 1/2 onion (, finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (, minced)
- 1 small onion (, quartered and sliced)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion (, diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (, minced)
- 1 can of black beans, drained ((400g/14oz))
- 1/4 cup tomato paste