Growing up in Texas, bourbon balls were a standard holiday tradition.
Popular recipes include vanilla wafers, corn syrup and other nasty processed food ingredients, so we’ve been avoiding these delicious confections for many years.
However, this year we decided to recreate some family favorites, and these were at the top of the list.
This version is much more delicious than the previous processed food version, and they are gluten free (and grain free) to boot!
Bourbon Balls (or Rum Balls)- Gluten Free, Grain Free
- 12 TBL organic grassfed butter, cut in cubes, plus an extra pat for greasing dish
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 3 large pasture-raised eggs
- 2-3 TBL maple syrup, Grade B preferred
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup high-quality bourbon (or rum for rum balls)