Chow chow poricha kuzhmabhu – an authentic south Indian side for rice, frequently prepare in Brahmin houses. We can say this curry as Chayote squash also. This gravy made with freshly grinded spices.Not only for rice, you can serve with a side dish for idli or dosa.
This chayote is very good for health and moreover it’s a Cucumber relative. We can eat this veggie as raw mixed up with salads. This veggie is called in different names across like chow chow , chayote, christophene etc.,
Here some health benefits of this veggie – it’s rich in vitamin B which stops homocysteine formation which avoids heart disease.It prevents cancer and constipation. This vegetable is very good for the stomach.
Enjoy this healthy and tasty kuzhambhu. Write me your valuable feedback.
Chayote Squash | Chow chow poricha kuzhambhu – Ingredients
Prep time : 15 mins | Cook time : 15 mins | serves : 4
Cuisine : South indian
Chow chow(Chayote) – 1 cup(peeled and chopped)
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Salt – as needed
Small onions – ¼ cup(finely chopped)
Coriander leaves – finely chopped
To roast and grind:
Oil – 1 tsp
Red chilies – 5 to 8 nos
Channa dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Coriander seeds – 1 ½ tbsp
Shallots or small onions – 8 to 10 nos(chopped)
Tomato – 2 big or medium sized
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – ½ tsp
Red chilies – 2 nos.
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash chayote, peel the skin and cut into two. Remove the seed part and thick white part around the seed. Cube the remaining.
- In a vessel, add chow chow, turmeric powder, and a little salt.
- Cook till the veggies are soft.Once done, drain the water completely from chow chow
- Meanwhile, Heat kadai, add oil and roast the items given under “ To roast and grind”. Allow it to cool and grind to smooth and fine paste by adding water.
- Heat another kadai, add oil to temper, add mustard seeds, after it splutters add curry leaves, red chilies, and chopped onions.