How To Spring Clean Your Diet
Spring is a wonderful time for renewal, a great time to clean the house, get rid of things we no longer need, put the winter clothes away, and welcome the freshness that comes with the season. I love to use this lovely time of year to Spring clean my body! It’s a great time to start fresh and reconnect to goals that might have been a bit buried over the Winter. The first place I like to start is with my diet. Here is a little guide to Spring Cleaning your Diet:
First lets take a honest look at ourselves and our diets. What are we eating that could be undermining our health and making us feel heavy, sluggish, and moody. The list below is some of the most common foods that people have allergic reactions too. When you are allergic to a food, it can undermine your entire system, keeping unwanted weight on your body, and harmful toxins in your blood.
Heavily Processed Foods
1. lets talk about Dairy, it is a common misperception that milk is good for you and is full of calcium. Let me break it down. Cows produce milk when they are pregnant and needing to grow a small calf quickly (a 90 lb calf grows to 2000 lb cow in under 2 years, the double their birth weight in only 45 days!). Did you know that researchers at top schools such as Harvard and Yale have done studies on the effects of milk and dairy on our bodies and none of those studies found that milk helps with osteoporosis. They actually found that the high protein in dairy leeches the calcium from your bones! This is probably shocking to some of you. Remember that the dairy industry is a multi-million dollar business and their main goal is not your health. It’s money. Don’t trust everything you’re told, don’t even trust me! Do your own in depth research and I’m confident that you will be shocked by what you come across.
2. Sugar Nancy Appleton, PhD, Clinical Nutritionist, shares how sugar is ruining your health. For more information check out her book Lick the Sugar Habit.
Sugar Feeds Cancer
Sugar Increases Cholesterol
Sugar can Decrease Growth Hormone
Sugar Causes Food Allergies
Sugar Contributes to Diabetes
Sugar Greatly Assists the Uncontrolled Growth of Candida
These are just a few of the unfortunate effects of sugar. Find healthy alternatives such as stevia or zylitol.
3. If you have a wheat gluten allergy or even if you just have a bit of sensitivity to it, you may be experiencing gas, diarrhea, bloating, constipation, abdominal pain, cramping, weight gain, water retention, and inability to loose weight. Gluten inflames and irritates the digestive track and upsets the muscles that protect and line the intestines. If you continue to eat these products when you are already sensitive, you could develop and autoimmune disease such as celiac disease. There are so many wheat alternatives, but be careful because some are over processed and just has harmful in other departments. Choose gluten free oats, buckwheat, or brown rice.
4. Soy and corn are almost all Genetically Modified. This means that they are no longer just corn. They have been altered at the gene level. Scientists have created tomatoes with a longer shelf life by adding flounder genes, soybeans that are resistant to weed killers, potatoes that produce their own pesticides, and potatoes with jellyfish genes that glow in the dark when they need water. Now that might be cool for a scientist to play with, but it is not cool in our food. We become the science experiment and it is not yet known how we will be effected from these GMOs. Stay clear. Natural is always better. It is not required that they label GMOs so it is best to stick with local, organic, and sustainable foods. Organic food labels always start with a 9 and have 5 numbers in the code. Look for that at your local supermarket.
5. Eggs are extremely acidic. If you are struggling with health issues, yeast or something more serious such as cancer, it would be wise to cut eggs out of your diet completely. Eggs are a very controversial food and I’m honestly on the fence myself. They are high in protein and DHAs if they are sourced right. Many people have allergies to eggs and don’t even know it. My suggestion with eggs is to heal your body first and then reintroduce eggs and see how it reacts. Don’t cut out the yolk! It’s where the bulk of the nutrients lies.
6.Overly processed foods (think chips, cookies, lunch meats, candy) are completely lacking in nutrients and are basically empty calories. Look for healthy cleaner alternatives that actually feed your body.
7. Soda is high in sugar and leeches the calcium from your bones. It also has has lots o artificial sugars in it, which actually are worse than real sugar! 20 ounces of soda has about 16 teaspoons of sugar in it! Gross! Not worth it.
Now you have a better understanding to why those foods should be eaten with caution and limited to once in a great while. Lets take a look at some healthy and nutrient-rich recipes I created that will fill you with healthy superfoods and leave your body fully satisfied.
Lets trade sugary cereal, loads of processed carbs and too much dairy for a nutritious and delicious morning smoothies. This recipe makes 2 servings.
- 1 cup of organic hemp milk
- 1 large handful of organic spinach
- 1 frozen organic banana
- 5 frozen organic strawberries or organic blueberries
- 1 scoop of vegan protein (Vega or SunWarrior)
- 1 tablespoon of organic raw almond butter (optional)
- 1 organic cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/4 of an organic apple, diced
- 1/2 an organic avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons of organic lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds hearts
- 1 small clove of organic garlic, minced
- 5-8 organic walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup of organic pomegranate seeds (you can substitute cranberries)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 5 organic dates, deseeded
- 1/2 cup of organic shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup of organic almonds
- 1/2 cup of raw pumpkin seed butter or raw almond butter
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt