Quick & Dirty Kitchen
Taco salad is one of my favorite dishes and I’ve adapted the traditional recipe to make it a bit more “skinny.” Swap ground beef and sodium-laden spice packets with ground turkey and real spices and add a low-fat Greek yogurt based dressing … yum! Of course, you can also make this recipe with ground beef or buffalo if you prefer (just remember to drain excess fat after browning meat).
Recipe notes: You may be tempted to buy ground turkey breast , but I highly recommend regular ground turkey for better flavor and texture (it’s still low-fat). Also, I love Bush’s Cocina Latina beans, but have only found 30 oz. cans so I use half and store the rest in the fridge.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (4 oz.) can tomato paste
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can beans (any variety - undrained if not refried)
- Salad fixings - lettuce, tomato, scallions, cucumber, washed and chopped
- ½ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 tbsp. Ranch dressing mix
- Hot sauce, optional, to taste
- Fresh cilantro to top, optional