A common Christmastime tradition is fruitcake, and there’s so many varieties to choose from. My version is free of alcohol and loaded with both candied and dried fruit, as well as walnuts. Christmas Apricot and Walnut Fruitcake just might be your new favourite Christmas tradition!
Fruitcake was always present in our home when I was growing up. From the end of November until well into January, fruitcake was in full supply and ready for the taking. My mom used to make her fruitcakes in a bundt pan, which might be more traditional.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 cups dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups glace cherries, roughly chopped (I used one cup red and one cup green)
- 1 cup dried candied mixed peel
- 1 cup chopped walnuts