Are these not the cutest? Cherry Cake Squares with Buttercream Frosting are so easy to make and pretty too! A Christmas treat that’s perfect for sharing, but so delicious, you’ll want to keep them all for yourself!
I’m presently in love with glace cherries. I seriously can’t get enough of them! It all started last Christmas – or was it the Christmas before that? – and now it seems they’re all I can think about for the entire month of December. It’s terrible really! Sure, they’re sweet and delicious and colourful and cheerful, but good Lord, they’re basically fruit that has been dyed and turned into candy. But, alas, Dear Reader, it’s Christmas and Christmastime is void of all calories. You did know that, right?
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purposed unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup red glace cherries, halved
- 3/4 cup green glace cherries, halved
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon milk