I love the idea of breakfast bars and breakfast cookies (or “biscuits,” as several manufacturers prefer to name them). The portability is a major factor of their appeal(even if I am only toting them up to my office along with a cup of coffee), but it;s also the toothsome-ness: some days I want to begin with crunching and nibbling instead of slurping, spooning (the utensil-dependent kind), or forking.
I hate the idea of any of you being left out of the joy of cookies for breakfast, hence if you are easing up or eschewing grains, I offer up my grain-free breakfast bars made with coconut flour and ground flax seeds.
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal (ground flax seeds)
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1-1/4 cups milk (dairy or nondairy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (packed) dried fruit (chopped, if needed)
- 4 ounces raw seeds (any variety)