My whole grain flour obsession du jour is buckwheat flour. I’ve been using buckwheat flour in combination with wheat flour for years, but now I’m learning to savor it solo. Sweet-tooth me, a banana cake seemed a great place to start.
You may already have an affection for buckwheat, too without having thought about it much: think savory French crepes with melting Gruyere (the ultimate street food IMHO) or a big bowl of earthy Japanese soba noodles. But if baking with buckwheat is unfamiliar terrain, then it’s time to explore.
- 1-1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup natural cane sugar (or granulated sugar)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups mashed VERY ripe bananas
- ⅔ cup semisweet chocolate chips (use gluten free chocolate chips if baking gluten-free)
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped pecans