I've been expanding my pickling horizons lately. I made a few batches of Pink Pickled Radishes earlier this summer, and recently I've added carrots and peppers to the repertoire.
This might seem a little backwards since I've never actually made pickled cucumbers, but I have big plans for that in the next few weeks as cukes are just coming into season here. In the meantime, I'm topping everything I eat with these guys. I used the same brine recipe for both batches, and I think it would work well with almost any veggie.
- Quick Pickled Veggies
- Adapted from Smitten Kitchen, originally from Gourmet Magazine
- 1 bunch carrots, 6-7 gypsy peppers, or any other fresh veggie that you'd like to pickle, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup cider or plain white vinegar (the cider vinegar makes for a sweeter, milder brine)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- Place veggies in a heatproof jar or resealable container.