Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
Treats for a friend yesterday who likes lemon sugar cookies but I didn’t really have time to make those so thought I’d try these instead, they were delicious!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 For the bars, preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9 x 13″ pan.
- 2 Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3 In the bowl of a stand mixer, add sugar and lemon zest and stir together until combined. Add butter and whip until pale and fluffy. Add egg and mix until combined and then add egg white and mix until combined. Add sour cream, lemon and vanilla extracts and mix until combined. Slowly add dry mixture just until combined.
- 5 For the frosting, whip butter until light and fluffy. Mix in powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice until light and fluffy. Tint with yellow food coloring if desired.