Dinner last night, recipe compliments of Taste of Home, it was comfort food yummy and a good way to use up some of the last tomatoes from the garden.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef (I used about 1 1/2 pounds hamburger)
- 1 cup chopped onion (I used 1 large onion)
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 15 tomatoes) (I was lazy and didn’t peel or seed the tomatoes and it came out great unless you absolutely hate tomato skins! Also I used way more than 15 tomatoes as mine weren’t that big, I used around 30ish.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (I used 2 teaspoons and also added 2 teaspoons of oregano and I also added about 3 cloves garlic pressed)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces cooked ziti (I used the whole box which was 16 oz)
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 In Dutch oven, cook beef and onion on medium until beef is no longer pink, drain grease. Stir in tomatoes, salt, basil (and other spices if desired) and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.