It’s always nice to have a stash of homemade cookies tucked away in a tin to share when friends or family drop by. And now that the holiday season is surely upon us, it’s good to stock up on ideas for little pastries to share at teatime and for gift giving to all those good people you love and appreciate. Homemade cookies, loaf cakes and confections are among the season's cherished receivables.
Today’s cookie is of the simple, subtle and crumbly variety. It’s made with ground almonds and brightened with lemon zest that's been processed with granulated sugar for maximum effect. It’s all done in a food processor, which makes quick work of getting the mixing done. The lemon glaze adds just the right touch of sweetness.
This plate of cookies is nothing fancy but a nice way to enjoy a moment of friendship at a time of the year that can feel way too busy and a notch stressful. It’s for just those occasions when you crave a light but satisfying nibble rather than the richness of chocolate or something that screams spice. For those understated moments of quiet relief, reach for your favorite hot beverage and one of these little treats. Time to take a deep breath and relish the simple things in life.
- I like to use sliced almonds because they result in a mixture that is more finely ground.
- To toast sliced almonds, spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in a 350 degree F oven for about 5 – 7 minutes. Watch them closely as they will burn quickly.
- A microplane is the best tool for zesting. Zest the lemons directly over the sugar in the food processor to capture the oils.
- The cookies don’t take on much color and firm up as they cool.
- Sift the powdered sugar for the glaze to eliminate lumps.
- I really love the combination of almonds and lemon. If you do, too, be sure to put Lemon Almond Ice Cream on your list of things to do.
Glazed Almond Lemon Cookies
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen 2 1/2” cookies
1/2 cup (3 1/2 oz) sugar
zest of 2 lemons
1 cup (3 oz) sliced almonds, toasted
2 cups (10 oz) flour
- 1 cup (3 oz) sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) lemon juice