Hot spiced mulled wine - a warming festive winter drink.
- 1 750 ml bottle of inexpensive red wine (I used a Côtes du Rhône)
- 1 750 ml bottle inexpensive ruby port wine (I used Offley Ruby Porto)
- 2 cups brandy (I used Felipe II)
- The peel of two oranges, divided
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 12 whole cloves
- 8 green cardamom pods, broken and seeds collected (see directions below) or a scant teaspoon of cardamom seeds.
- Optional Garnish
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1 cup sweetened dried cherries or dark seedless raisins
- Orange peel