"Ice cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn't illegal!" –Voltaire
Now it’s the hot part of the year that screams for home-made ice cream. And Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream is a no-brainer for me. It not only satisfies my ice cream addition, it takes care of my cherry addiction also while adding a little chocolate for good measure. The ripe juicy cherries combined with the cream, cherry liqueur and chocolate means it’s packed with good flavors and is a perfect treat on a hot day.
Let’s scoop a little ice cream trivia:
· What rock star had a flavor named after him?
Answer: Jerry Garcia. As in Ben and Jerry's flavor, Cherry Garcia!
· Which US state once had a law that banned serving ice cream on cherry pie?
· How many licks does it take to finish one scoop of ice cream?
Answer: About 50 licks.
· What President liked ice cream so much he reportedly had a bill for $200 for ice cream one summer?
Answer: George Washington.
· What’s one of the major ingredients in ice cream?
Answer: Air, without it ice cream would be hard as a rock.
· Who does one out of every five ice cream eater share their treat with?
Answer: Their dog or cat.
· What was the weight of the world’s largest ice cream sandwich?
Answer: 2,500 pounds!
And remember, the next time you’re in Kentucky, be sure not to carry ice cream in your back pocket! No kidding, it’s a law there!
If you’re slightly obsessed with ice cream and cherries like I am, you must try this!
- 1½ cups pitted ripe sweet cherries (about ¾ pound)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1¾ cups cream, divided
- ½ cup sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cherry liqueur or Blackberry liqueur
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, grated or chopped fine