A simple and classic strawberry rhubarb galette that will sure to be your new summer favorite. The ease of making a galette makes this a favorite among first time pie dough makers.
Every spring I attempt to start my own garden. It usually ends in lots of tears, dirt in my hair, and a few green tomatoes. A few years ago, however, I managed to grow rhubarb and it grows back each and every year without fail. It’s the one thing that gives me hope that I can actually grow something without killing it (lavender, on the other hand, does a wonderful job of putting me in my place). This year, my daughter asked for us to grow strawberries. I planted roots, but nothing yet.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and frozen
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender (optional)
- egg wash (1 beaten egg, 1 tablespoon water)
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract