This blog has been on a serious sweet streak lately – and when I look back, I see I haven’t posted anything savory here since January! Let me get back in the good graces of those who love salt and butter more than sugar and chocolate with these delicious, flaky, buttery scones with cheddar and green onions.
Warm out of the oven, they are little wedges of heaven. The next day you can pop them in the toaster to imitate that fresh-baked feeling. Either way they are great for brunch, tea, or in lieu of biscuits with a fried chicken dinner. I was on the verge of adding crispy bacon to the mix, so if that floats your boat, don’t let me stop you.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 6 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped, white and light green parts only
- 1 cup medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tblsp half and half or heavy cream