Ah weekends – time to relax, read, nap, ride bicycles, walk, pursue a hobby or catch a movie. Right?
Who am I kidding?
This is the time to clean and maintain our castles and stock the pantries with food. Hardly relaxing.
But wouldn’t it be nice to start with a good breakfast? If you are like me, weekends are the only time you really enjoy breakfast. Something besides my usual oatmeal or smoothie.
This is a new twist on a breakfast casserole I used to make years ago.
The difference is that I used to layer whole wheat bread in the bottom and along the sides. And getting the triangle of toast to sit still during baking was always an issue.
- perfect breakfast
- I make this up the night before, but you don’t have to. It helps the potatoes to thaw and decreases baking time. I have learned that it’s best to let the food spread out, so I use either an 8″ square pan or an 9″ x 13″ cake pan (for 8 eggs and a bit more milk and cheese.)
- This would be perfect for Mother’s Day. Even if you are the mom and the cook, all you’ll have to do is bake it in the morning.
- First, a word about the meat. Yes you can skip it. However, I have made it with Italian sausage, bacon and ground sausage. All with great results. Just make certain the meat is fully cooked before you put this together. Oh yes, I added chopped mushrooms to the ground sausage for this one and cooked them together, then drained the fat off.
- Ingredients for Layered Breakfast Casserole
- Butter to grease the pan
- 2 cups shredded potatoes (I use frozen)
- 12 oz cooked sausage or bacon crumbled, or kielbasa chopped into bite sizes
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- Optional – frozen onions and peppers
- 6-8 eggs (remember to use a larger pan if you use 8 eggs)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (almond milk works just as well.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper (or black pepper if you prefer)
- 2 cups shredded cheese – I use Gouda or Cheddar or a mixture