I have been meddling around for the last couple of years with raw desserts and such like. I confess I have no desire whatsoever to go on a raw vegan diet, I love my cooked food and know I would just miss it far too much. BUT, that said, I am a believer in the old adage ‘Variety is the Spice of Life’ – and I do love aspects of raw food, in particular raw desserts, dips, and sauces (which I marginally heat up). However, I don’t like cold soups, or other food that in my mind, and out of personal preference, I couldn’t stomach cold, such as pizza. But that is not what this is all about. This is about embracing aspects of raw vegan recipes with some adjustments that suit my palette. This summer it’s going to be a combo of dishes, mostly healthy, all vegan, a few naughty ones (always) – and all about feasting on, and embracing, what Mother Nature has to offer us. Intended for our culinary pleasure, and to infuse our senses with a huge sense of well-being. That is the entire ethos of Mouthwatering Vegan.
This amazing cheesecake, with it’s two-layered filling, is simply beyond delicious – a sensational and wonderful dessert for spring or summer, with the most decadent of base. Raw desserts tend to be quite rich, so I prefer to make mine in small quantities. You will enjoy this thoroughly, especially if you miss carrot cake, but don’t want the hassle of baking, and prefer a healthier treat. Unique & Fabulous – Enjoy and let me know how yours goes !
Note :- I like my crust/base thick, and it really works with this recipe, if you prefer yours otherwise adjust accordingly.
- 1 medium sized sweet carrot, finely grated, or if you have a high-speed processor, use that with the rest of the ingredients to follow
- 1 Tbsp oats
- 2 Tbsp desiccated (shredded) coconuts (available here in the US or UK)
- 1 Tbsp sultanas
- 3 medjool dried dates (rinse in warm water to hydrate a little)
- 2 tsp sunflower seeds (good brands in the US or UK)
- 2 tsp pumpkin seeds (good brands in the US or UK)
- a pinch of Himalayan salt (US or UK)
- 2 Tbsp soft extra virgin coconut oil (melted preferably) (US link or UK)
- the zest of ½ an orange or lemon
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon