Chocolate loaf cake with green buttercream frosting and rainbow shamrock in the middle.
I’m so excited to share this cake with you! I love St. Patrick’s Day. My ancestors came from Ireland and my granddad Sullivan used to throw a big St. Paddy’s Day party every year. I’m talking a hundred people or more. It was a big deal and so much fun! Everyone wore green, of course.
My granddad even had a restaurant called The Shamrock in the late 1950s. It was basically a hamburger joint (pre-McDonald’s era). So the shamrock holds a special place in my heart. And the inspiration for this cake. This Peek-A-Boo St. Patrick’s Day Cake is even cuter than I had hoped and perfect for a March 17th celebration.
- For the Cake
- 1 box of white cake mix (prepared according to package instructions)
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (prepared according to package instructions)
- Food coloring of your choice (I used red, orange, yellow, green, blue)
- *Note - keep the cake batters in 2 separate bowls. One will be colored, the other stays white.
- For the frosting -
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (use clear vanilla flavoring for brighter color)
- Green food coloring