Last week’s baking project recipe got me in the mood for pie. Lime Cream and Strawberry Pie to be more specific. This one’s like a key lime pie with strawberries.
This recipe comes from a cookbook called Icebox Pies by Lauren Chattman and available on Amazon.com
Start by making a Vanilla Wafer Crust. Add butter, vanilla and a little salt to crushed wafers. Press into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake.
You’ll need the zest of 1 lime and 1/2 cup of juice (about 4 limes).
1 lime renders about 1 tablespoon of zest. Isn’t it pretty! It smells so good too!
- Recipe by Lauren Chattman
- Source: Icebox Pies (2002)
- 50 vanilla wafer cookies (1 1/2 cups crumbs)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced