Freshly whipped cream, yummy custard, fruits plus Italian Panettone or any sponge cake make this a delicious and party-perfect Trifle!
My kids and I love Italian Panettone! When the chilly fall season finally arrives, you can be certain that we look for and buy at least a loaf or two of this special holiday bread (or cake as others readily point out but I won't argue with anyone over this! I love it either way!). I compare it to a brioche loaf - deliciously sweet, buttery and tender! During the Christmas season it comes in many varieties - plain, with chocolate chips or loaded with fruits so it's like a fruitcake and taste a little bit like it, too! I guess because it was Christmas I gravitated to the more festive looking Panettone loaf that I saw.
- 1-2 canned (15 oz) sweet dark Cherries (use 2 cans if doubling the layers)
- 1 (6 oz) package fresh Raspberries
- 1 small loaf of Panettone (about 1 lb)
- 2 cups store-bought or homemade custard (see notes)
- 1 pint whipping cream, freshly whipped with 2 tablespoons Icing sugar
- A handful of sliced Almonds
- Extra Chocolate Shavings