Coffee Cake Muffins
Oh how I love the smell of cinnamon and chocolate in the morning. Now tell me, who doesn’t like to start their day with cake. Well, I do. This morning I have cousins Ted and Mary Alice visiting from West Virginia and we’re going to start the day off with a hot cup of “joe” and these Coffee Cake Muffins. Why do you think my relatives travel all the way across the country to see me…that’s right…because I give them cake in the morning.
I give you my word, that you will be a hero if you awaken your family to the smell of cinnamon, chocolate and toasted walnuts wafting through the house. We ate these straight out of the oven, because God forbid we should wait 10 minutes for them to cool. Go ahead…be a hero.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (or 12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut up in pieces at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips